Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Hope that all of you had a good St. Patrick's Day - our day here started out well......

I got a call at 6:00 this morning saying "NO SCHOOL" because of the snow! We only got a couple of inches here in Ord, but I think that it was worse over in Custer County (where Sargent is). Everything west of us was closed, and I heard that visibility was pretty poor, so yay for a snow day! I was looking forward to spending the day with Alexander.

Unfortunately, a "bug" has hit. Last night, as I kissed him goodnight, he felt warm to me. We took his temp - 101 - and gave him some Tylenol. I figured all of the excitement from the weekend had caught up with him. He slept fine, only had a bit of a coughing spell in the early morning hours.

Once he got up, it was not our normal Alexander. He was so very, very hot and his eyes just looked "out". He seemed very pale and crying/whimpering most of the time. He did eat some toast (I wanted to keep everything pretty bland in case it was something tummy-wise), but didn't eat with his normal "gusto." We gave him more Tylenol at about 7, his temp was close to 102 (but that was after sleeping and having nothing all night). At 9, he was still warm, so I alternated with the ibuprofin. I continued on with the every 2 hours until finally, at 3, I decided to call the Dr. I waited because he would be seeming to be feeling better and then would crash. The Dr. got us in at 4 - and I bet that almost all of you can guess what it was - - ear infection. Only this time, his throat was all closed off and very red. The PA couldn't get a good look at it, but she did decide to put him on antibiotics because of the infection in his ears, and if he has something else going along with it, the antibiotics will take care of that, too. She also gave us a decogestent/cough suppressant because he was having a hard time breathing. (With the scare of all of the cough things the past few months, I was a little leary - but she (and both Dr.'s) reassured me that this one was safe - he would be fine as long as we followed the dosing.)

So tonight we continued on with the Tylenol and ibuprofin, as well as the antibiotic and decongestant at bedtime. He didn't eat too much tonight, but he did drink lots of water, which is reassuring. I'm sure we'll have a famished boy in the morning!

It's just so hard when he's hurting and there's nothing that I can do about it! When he looks at me and begins to cry becaue he hurts, it just breaks my heart! I wish that I could take his pain, aches, and sickness away, but all I can do is hold him and try to alleviate some of his pain. I just hope and pray that he will get over this so very soon, and be back to the wonderful happy little man is usually is.

He's sleeping well now, so we will pray that it continues on through tonight and he wakes up a "new man" tomorrow.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Poor little sicky!! I hate that helpless feeling. Have you thought about tubes for his ears?

Counter